Tuesday, July 3, 2012

D is for Ducks, Daffodils, Daisies, and Derecho

 This next post is a combination of two days.  Things have been a little crazy around here after Friday night's "derecho" storm, which took out the power to our entire region.  We luckily had power, but our restaurant did not for two and a half days.  Some people will unfortunately have to wait a whole week before they regain electricity.  Needless to say, things have again been a little crazy.  I'm starting to sense a theme here, an unwanted theme, but a theme nonetheless.


So despite the derecho storm we continued on letter D and some ducks.  We started with some coloring pages.  This first page she mostly colored in the lowercase d.


These next pictures were a very similar sheet with a very similar result.  She was in love with coloring in that lowercase d!



Then came the proud mommy/teacher moment.  There was no mommy help on this one.  She actually drew a capitol D all by herself!!  Whoohoo! Awwww I was so proud of her!  Gooba however was like "yeah I did that."  She cracks me up.



Our next activity was stamping the letters on the duck with a bingo marker.  She actually enjoyed this and stamped all the letters... before she just went crazy and colored in the entire duck.  I'll take it as progress!




Then it was craft time!  I really enjoy how much Gooba is getting into crafts, mostly since I love crafts and this is a great excuse for me to make them.  So I got these ideas from Pinterest, but I tweaked them a little bit.  I cut out the pieces and Gooba helped me glue them on the paper.  As you can tell, I gave her a little more liberty with the glue this week.

After craft time we played with rubber ducks in the water table.  Definitely the hit of the day.

These next pictures are from today when our friend Pretty Girl came over today.  Poor Pretty Girl and her mommy had no power until this afternoon, so they came to Story Time with us, another fabulous day by Gooba, and then came over to do some crafts.  First I cut some leaves and stems out of paper plates and they finger painted them green.  This was another idea I adapted from Pinterest.   Gooba LOVES to finger paint.


Then while those were drying we let the girls go crazy with the glue sticks!  I had previously cut out lowercase d's, the yellow center, and the white petals.  Then we had the girls glue down the d and add the yellow circle into the center.  Next we directed the girls to glue the petals on making sure the white part was touching the yellow part.  The didn't come too bad!





To the left is the final product for the daisy D.  Our petals got a little out of control and we went back and fixed them.  To the right is our finished daffodil.  We glued our finger painted leaves and stem onto the paper and added a cut out of a semi-star to the top.  Then we glued a muffin wrapper to the center of the flower.   All in all a pretty good start to D week!  Looking forward to some Dogs, Dinosaurs, and Daddy!








Printables borrowed graciously from 1+1+1=1.  Craft ideas from Play and Learn with DanaMolly Moo, and Totally Tots.


No comments:

Post a Comment